CANTON, NEW YORK- Starting on September 27th through October 27th, a Suicide Awareness 5K will be virtually offered in St. Lawrence County. The St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau and St. Lawrence County Suicide Awareness Coalition have partnered together to offer this event.
According to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, there are five steps that you can take to help a person experiencing emotional pain and promotes #BeThe1To help:
1. ASK. Research shows people, who are having thoughts of suicide, feel relief when someone asks after them in a caring way. Talking about suicide may reduce rather than increase suicidal ideation.
2. BE THERE. Individuals are more likely to feel less depressed, less suicidal, less overwhelmed, and more hopeful after speaking to someone who listens without judgement.
3. KEEP THEM SAFE. A number of studies have indicated that when lethal means are made less available, suicide rates (by that method) decline and, frequently, suicide rates overall decline.
4. HELP THEM STAY CONNECTED. Studies indicate that helping someone at risk creates a network of resources (and individuals) for support and can help individuals take positive action and reduce feelings of hopelessness.
5. FOLLOW UP. Studies have also shown that brief, low cost intervention and ongoing contact may be an important part of suicide prevention, especially for individuals after they have been discharged from care services.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number is 800.273.8255. Locally, Reachout is a free, confidential, non-judgmental crisis and information hotline serving residents of St. Lawrence County. They focus on crisis services and supportive listening, and provide other services as needed. Reachout’s hotline is 315.265.2422.
St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau Director, Alexa Backus, adds “our Youth Committee teens wanted to promote Suicide Awareness this month. We want to remember and honor those who have been impacted by suicide and offer support to anyone struggling with mental health.”
Individuals can register online for this virtual event. The first 100 registrants will receive a gift from the St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau. All participants will receive a printable certificate of participation.
Please direct questions to Alexa Backus, St. Lawrence County Youth Bureau Director, at ABackus@stlawco.org or call 315-379-9464.