It’s hard to go on social media these days without seeing someone showing off some sort of dish they just ordered, cooked or tried. Well, apparently social media is playing a huge role in how people eat, although some may not really be consuming what they post.
A new survey finds:
- Food accounts are among the most popular types of social media accounts (51%).
- Some folks are so anxious to impress they even order food they won’t eat just to post it online.
- In fact, 40% of people admit to uploading images of food they ordered just for the pictures, but never actually consumed.
- 19% admit they never intended to eat it at all.
- Overall, 44% of people say they post images of their food on social media.
- 27% say wanting to post better looking food has led them to actually change up their diet.
- Folks are so invested in getting the right shot of their food, 57% admit they physically move or rearrange a dish to get the best angle.
- 59% of people have either stopped someone from digging in to get a picture, or know someone who’s done it to them.
And social media is also influencing folks eating in general.
- 85% of people say they’ve experienced cravings after seeing a dish on social media.
- The foods people are most likely to notice first include:
- Pizza (41%)
- Burgers (37%)
- Specialty cocktails (30%)
Source: SWNS Digital