The NFL kicks off tomorrow, but the season might as well be scrapped because ESPN seems to know what’s going to happen. Once again, they’ve run 20K simulations through all 269 games, using their Football Power Index as the baseline. Through that, all conceivable outcomes have been weighed. Now, the projections have been released for all to bask in the glory of…or be pissed off by. Here are some highlights:
- Patrick Mahomes picks up where he left of with a 35-7 dismantling of the Texans where he throws three touchdown passes.
- The Ravens, Bills, Texans & Chiefs all win their AFC divisions, with the Ravens getting the number one seed in the playoffs with a 12-4 record.
- The Steelers, Colts & Chargers take the wild card spots in the AFC.
- The Vikings, Eagles, Saints & 49’ers will all win their NFC divisions, with the Niners taking the number one seed with an 11-5 record.
- The Cowboys, Buccaneers & Rams take the wild card spots in the NFC.
- To no one’s surprise, the Jacksonville Jaguars earn themselves the first pick in the 2021 draft with a 3-13 record. The Carolina Panthers come close, however, with a 3-12-1 finish.
- The AFC Championship sees the Chiefs squeak by the Ravens 17-14, and the Cowboys take down the Buccaneers 26-14.
- The Super Bowl is far less dramatic, with the Chiefs wasting the Cowboys 42-17.
- Tom Brady doesn’t age, as he leads the NFL with 4,615-yards passing.
- Derrick Henry takes the rushing title with 1,316-yards.
- Michael Thomas is king of all wide receivers with 1,373-yards.
To be fair, last year’s ESPN simulation showed the Saints winning it all over the Chargers in a close one (40-33), so, while this stuff is fun, it’s meaningless. That’s why they play the games!