He didn’t know it had happened until almost a year later when he started losing feeling in his legs and having spinal issues. It took the doctors a while to figure out why but they found that it was a parasite in his body.
Fortunately, they were able to get him some medication that killed the worms but if doctors hadn’t figured it out, he could have died.
Unfortunately for James, there will be long-lasting effects. He says the doctors have told him there’s only about a 30% chance he’ll make a full recovery but it will take 10 years.