It’s no fun being at a cocktail party when you’re stuck in some boring conversation and don’t really know what to say. But the next time that happens to you, you can be prepared with these offbeat wine facts you can share while you swirl your glass of Pinot Grigio.
- Not all wines are vegan – Some use animal byproducts like gelatin during the filtration process.
- Wine-flavored Kit Kats are a thing – Kit Kats are huge in Japan and they come in all sorts of flavors, including wine. So you can’t just pick up the vino variety at the Kroger, but you can get them on Amazon.
- Italy has a free wine fountain that’s open 24/7 – This amazing fountain just opened recently and it’s enough to make us want to book a flight now.
- Drinking “to one’s health” started in ancient Greece – It all came from the host drinking the first cup of wine to show his guests that he wasn’t poisoning them. That’s reassuring, right?
- Toasting started in ancient Rome – Romans used to drop a piece of toasted bread in each glass to balance out excessive acidity.
- You’ll be amazed how old the world’s oldest bottle is – It dates back to 325 A.D. and you can see this super old wine for yourself in a museum in Germany.
- Hammurabi’s Code (from 1800 B.C.) had a law about wine – It called for counterfeit wine sellers to be punished by drowning in a river. With a punishment that harsh, we’re guessing it wasn’t much of a problem.
- Women are better wine tasters – Women are great at wine tasting because it has a lot to do with smell and women – especially those of childbearing age – have a better sense of smell than men. Who knew?
- Not all wines get better with age – Don’t save that bottle, 90% are meant to be consumed within a year of production.
- Oenophobia is the fear of wine and it’s a real thing – And we’re truly glad we don’t have it!
There’s a difference between “busy” and “active”…choose wisely.
A 29-year-old woman registered as a student at New Brunswick High School in New Jersey and enrolled. Hyejeong Shin allegedly took part in classes, exchanged phone numbers with other students, and even spoke with guidance counselors while pretending to be 15. The president of the Board of Education for the school has defended letting the…
That’s right, we’re going to go with “Dada.”
His knuckles may be bloodied and bruised, but David Rush has now broken another world record. He shared a video on Sunday showing him and his neighbor’s son managing 273 fist bumps in 30 seconds, easily beating the old record of 174. Rush also set the world record for the most fist bumps in one…
A company has developed a new brain implant they say will allow people to use social media with just their minds. The Layer 7 Cortical Interface is one-fifth the thickness of a human hair, and surgeons insert it into a tiny slit in patients’ heads less than a millimeter thick. It’s not just for thinking…
Buying plane tickets can be pretty pricey these days, but it turns out, they sometimes come with some free perks. When you fly economy, you’re stuck with cramped seats and limited food and beverage service, but you may be able to ask for some freebies that will make your experience a little more comfortable. “Travel…
How did she get hooked on that? It’s obviously her jam.
If you know where to find a real mermaid, Chicken of the Sea has a check for you. The tuna company is offering $1-million to the person that can provide “scientific evidence” that mermaids exist and set up an interview between the mermaid and the company’s mermaid expert. Yes, that’s apparently a job title. Entries…
It’s love…violent love, but love.
The Guinness Book of World Records has confirmed that Renani Jewels in India now holds the world record for the most diamonds set in a watch. Their watch, which they named Srinkia, or the watch of good fortunes, has 17,512 white diamonds and 12 black ones set on it. The jeweler says the biggest challenge…