Curling up in bed may be what we feel like doing when we’re feeling stressed out, but that’s not always an option. If you can’t escape to relax in your own space when you’re dealing with anxiety, here are some solutions to give you instant relief, no bed required.
- Plug in – Bust out your earbuds and play your favorite song. Put on some classical for a calming effect, or anything that makes you feel better.
- Sip green tea – It’s got L-Theanine, an amino acid that helps reduce stress and improve your mood. And over ice, it’s a perfect summer afternoon pick-me-up.
- Have a little dark chocolate – Sure, it’s delicious, but it also regulates levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. So go ahead and treat yourself, you actually will feel better.
- Chew gum – A few minutes of gum chewing can also lower cortisol levels and ease anxiety, according to research.
- Count down – The simple exercise of counting to ten slowly and then counting back again just as slowly helps you focus on repeating numbers instead of stressful thoughts. And you can do it anywhere, anytime.
- LOL – Spend a few minutes on YouTube checking out videos you think are hysterical because when you laugh, you take in more oxygen-rich air and that makes your brain release more endorphins that make you feel good.
- Sniff citrus – A little aromatherapy can really help. The scent of a peeled lemon has been proven to drastically lower stress and help with mood swings.
Source: Pure Wow