Now that it’s summer, a lot of parents will face the pressure of finding things to keep their child occupied every day. And while taking them to the park or beach is great, not every day is going to be beautiful, so some indoor activities will have to be on the list, and what better place to take them than a museum?
There are great museums all over this country, but there are definitely some that are more popular than others. According to the Themed Entertainment Association, which apparently doesn’t just focus on amusement parks, two of Washington, DC’s many museums top the list of the most visited museums in the United States. Both the National Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of Natural History attracted 6.9-million visitors last year to make them the most popular in the U.S.
Overall, DC and New York had the most museums making it in the Top Ten, with DC landing four and New York nabbing three. Of course, it could be because it gets so cold in both spots in the winter visitors are dying for something to do indoors.
Top Ten Most Visited Museums in the United States
1. National Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC (6.9-million visitors)
1. National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC (6.9-million)
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met), New York, NY (6.3-million)
4. American Museum of Natural History, New York, NY (5-million)
5. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC (4.1-million)
6. National Museum of American History, Washington, DC (4.1-million)
7. The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, NY (3-million)
8. California Science Center, Los Angeles, CA (2.6-million)
9. Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston, Texas (2.3-million)
10. Denver Museum of Nature & Science, Denver, Colorado (1.7-million)
Source: USA Today