Back in the old days, people kept their jobs for life! That’s hard for us to imagine since we’re likely to change jobs many times during our lifetime. So how do you know if you’re just in a rut at work or if the way you’re feeling is a sign that it’s time to make a career change.
- You get the Sunday evening blues – This is more than not wanting a fun weekend to end. It’s a dark and gloomy feeling you get on Sunday nights that changes your mood. You might even have trouble sleeping – and it’s because you’re anxious about the start of another work week.
- You dread walking into the office – The feeling in the pit of your stomach starts as soon as you see your office building. You may feel sick when you walk inside – and that’s not a good sign. It’s your body telling you that you don’t want to be there. Sure, you can get through the day, but it takes a lot of energy to fake it. No wonder you’re so tired!
- Your dream job isn’t related to your real job in any way – What job would you have, if you could do anything in the whole world? If you know the answer and it’s got nothing to do with your current career, you might be in the wrong job.
- You don’t want to move up the company ladder – If you think about the higher positions at your company and you don’t have any desire to get to that level one day, you might want to think about a different line of work. There’s nowhere to go but up, so if you’re not looking to get there, time to rethink the job.
- You don’t feel appreciated – If you feel like you don’t get the opportunities you deserve at work and that your manager doesn’t value what you bring to the job, is that where you really want to be? Sticking that kind of situation out long-term can eat away at your self-esteem. And that’s no way to live!
- You just don’t care about what happens at work anymore – When office politics and unfair situations at work don’t bother you at all anymore, that’s a sign you might need a career change. You’ve given up emotionally or mentally, and either way, that’s not good for you or your employer.
- You procrastinate…A LOT – Maybe you’re bored or just not motivated at all, but you don’t seem to cross much off your to-do list. And when you can’t even with your basic job duties – take that as a sign you might need a new career.