With the cold weather keeping us inside more, and the sun going down by five, it’s no surprise that a lot of people get down in the dumps during the winter months. But believe it or not there are some simple, scientifically backed, things you can do to help cure your case of the winter blues.
- Talk Them Away – A recent study has shown that “talk therapy” can actually beat depression caused by the seasons. And by talking out your issues it helps you notice patterns that could help you year after year.
- Keep A Schedule – While the cold weather may make you want to stay in bed or sit on the couch all day, experts suggest you do your best to not change your daily life just because it’s cold outside. They suggest keeping a routine as if it was any other time of the year, even if it means having to bundle up more to do it.
- Get Physical – Not only will it help you get in shape but studies have shown that vigorous exercise three to four times a week can help reverse mild depression.
- Be With People – Even if you’re not in the mood, it’s a smart move to make yourself socialize. Once you start doing it, you may find yourself in the mood to be with other people, and if you wait until you are in the mood, you probably will never go out at all.
- Do What You Like – Keep yourself busy with things you enjoy doing, even if it means finding ways to do typical warm weather activities in the cold.
- Cultivate Coziness – Stop convincing yourself you hate winter and find ways to start liking it. Experts suggest creating coziness in your home by lighting candles, inviting friends over, etc.